The global publishing environment reflects rapidly changing business models, constant shifts in the world of licensing, and continuous pressure to leverage technology to enable operational workflows and strengthen the partner and customer experience.
Leadership teams are taking stock of how to deliver innovative solutions to the market while maintaining competitive advantage and controlling costs. Digital transformation—the practice of leveraging digital technology to improve operations and increase value to customers—is a core part of every publisher’s strategic plan. New pressures as a result of the global pandemic have pressed organizations to accelerate key elements of these plans.
The Key to Digital Transformation Success
To fully deliver on the promise of digital transformation, publishers must begin with data. Inaccurate, missing or incomplete metadata can result in:
- Lower usage when content is hard to find
- Decreased confidence in content quality when search results are inaccurate
- Declining author loyalty when research fails to reach the right audience at the right time
- Increased operational costs when creating and repurposing content
Most publishing organizations recognize the need for a flexible, scalable metadata strategy to power the kind of systems that drive author loyalty and improve the user experience. Yet, on their own, many publishers struggle to create comprehensive metadata strategies due to competing internal priorities, scant data expertise, and limited resource availability.
While packaged software products may offer point solutions for projects like semantic enrichment, they don’t address:
- The complexity of defining, planning, and managing metadata strategies and programs company-wide
- The need for organizational alignment on goals and priorities related to metadata to drive digital transformation
- The lack of available in-house metadata and technology experts
- Entrenched cultural resistance to more contemporary digital-first approaches and emerging publishing tools and techniques
The Three C’s of Metadata Strategy
- Correct — Manual approaches to metadata enrichment can result in errors as rules are applied by different users. Your metadata strategy must define how to achieve and measure data correctness.
- Complete — Your metadata strategy must define mandatory vs. optional content elements, and offer a plan to bring legacy content up to par.
- Consistent — Predictability is critical to your metadata strategy, improving search results and strengthening app behavior based on content input.
By following the three C’s of metadata strategy, your organization can:
- Increase revenue and accelerated time-to-market
- Improve discoverability, visibility, and knowledge
- Facilitate easier reuse through more efficient management
- Maximize value of content assets
- Enhance usage and user engagement
- Expand insights to drive new business and discover new revenue streams
Trusted Experts in Publisher Metadata
CCC offers tailored consulting and technology services that help customers integrate business strategy, process expertise, technology excellence, and data strategy and management. We’ve worked with dozens of publishing organizations to overcome internal resource challenges to establish the strategies and infrastructure needed to create, manage, and use reliable metadata to drive business change.
Our consultants engage and collaborate with busy and overstretched in-house teams, providing focused attention on high-priority initiatives with speed and efficiency. Our team taps into a depth and breadth of publishing industry knowledge ranging from building award-winning licensing and content publishing solutions to designing and integrating custom workflow solutions for publishers of all sizes.
Understanding the Need and Delivering the Value
Through facilitated workshops, analysis of the organization’s current state, and a proposition of the possibilities for the future, our consultants inform the publisher’s generation of a suitable data model and, when appropriate, propose taxonomies strategically aligned to the goals of the business.
Our approach is designed to help publishers adopt the healthiest possible metadata strategy, one that:
- Defines the domain to understand and describe the world in which you operate
- Describes the content needed to maximize your opportunities for market share and revenue growth
- Designs data enrichment strategies to decorate content with meaning and deliver value to customers
- Tunes enrichment engines to take advantage of current and future machine learning capabilities
From this approach, we help you:
- Better engage your customers through insights gained from user metrics informing content, topics, and formats that attract and engage your audience
- Maximize content lifetime value by enriching it to improve access internally, externally, and between systems that support your supply chain
- Achieve business objectives by making your content readily discoverable in line with the way users expect
Strategy. Implementation. Management.
Your metadata strategy is critical to the success of data transformation initiatives. Developing a strong metadata strategy comes from efficient execution and sustained management. Our consultants provide guidance on best practices for integrating metadata strategy with technology, applying taxonomies, and tailoring workflow and process.
Based on years of expertise working with publishers around the world, our consultants offer recommendations on the business change aspects of these decisions, including new skills that may be required to support revenue growth and return on investment, or new operational changes that could deliver better program outcomes.
Ready to Get Started?
Contact us to learn how our professional services consultants can help your organization overcome its metadata challenges on the way to digital transformation success.