When you enter into a license under any of the pay-per-use services of Copyright Clearance Center (CCC), you are bound by the terms and conditions for that particular service. Use of copyrighted materials under a CCC license constitutes acceptance of these terms and conditions.
Invoices are prepared and mailed as follows (varies by type of use):
- Academic Uses (coursepacks, classroom handouts, online course content, etc.): 60 days after the “start of term” date provided upon order entry. Class enrollment numbers must be included with the order; billing is based on enrollment.
- Non-Academic Digital/Electronic and Paper Uses (e-mail, Internet, intranet, extranet; photocopy; fax): 7 days after permission has been granted. Prices are those published in CCC’s online catalog on the date of order entry.
- Republication Uses (republish in books, journals, newsletters, etc.): 30 days after order entry.
- Payment is due upon receipt of invoice.
- You may pay by check or credit card (American Express, Master Card, Visa).
- Invoices unpaid after 90 days will result in the freezing of your account. All permissions activity will cease and orders may not be submitted or updated until payment is received.
- CCC reserves the right to change payment terms.
- Copies of invoices and invoice details are available upon request by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your CCC account number and invoice number. You will receive the materials by mail within 15 business days.
Credits and Refunds
Credit and refund requests must be submitted, in writing, within 30 days of invoice date to email@example.com. Please include your:
- CCC account number
- E-mail address
- Telephone number
- Invoice number for which adjustment is requested
- Order and/or order detail number
- Reason for adjustment request
- Requested adjustment amount
Credit and refund requests are accepted due to:
- Data entry or other errors by CCC
- Duplicate orders (CCC processing charges are still incurred where duplicate royalty fees have been adjusted)
Credit and refund requests are not accepted in response to:
- An increase in rightsholder-set royalty fees (see section below titled Royalty Fee Statement)
- A modification in usage numbers, number of copies, pages, students, etc., because accurate usage data was not submitted to CCC before invoicing
- Any order details in which royalties have already been distributed to rightsholder
If you are due a credit or refund, you will receive a credit memo within 60 days. A new invoice will not be issued. If your credit and refund request is declined, you will receive an e-mail notice.
Royalty Fee Statement
All royalty fees are set directly by rightsholders with no assistance from CCC. CCC cannot affect, change or set royalty fees.
Royalty fees in CCC’s title catalog change at the discretion of the rightsholder. CCC does not set royalty fees and is bound by contract to collect and distribute current royalty fees. Royalty fee updates received from publishers, authors and other creators are accepted 365 days a year. These fee changes become effective in CCC’s title catalog quarterly (January 1, April 1, July 1, October 1). Pricing for orders is based on the effective royalty fees in the database on the date of order entry.
Rights ownership frequently changes from one rightsholder to another. The new rightsholder royalty fee becomes effective immediately. A rights ownership change can occur for a variety of reasons, including transfer of rights, mergers, acquisitions and reversion of rights to authors and creators. These changes are effective upon receipt, unlike fee changes.