National Geographic has notified CCC that they will no longer permit the reuse of excerpts from their magazines and journals under the CCC Student Assessment License (SAL), effective June 16, 2021.
While we regret any publisher leaving the SAL, we have always anticipated adding and losing rightsholders, and as a consequence we have carefully constructed the provisions of your license to avoid any immediate disruption to your development work or current item banks utilizing excerpts from National Geographic magazines or journals.
- For existing item banks/assessments administered prior to June 16, 2021, you are able to continue using excerpts from National Geographic magazines/journals in those assessments (and related materials) subject to the terms of your SAL license through the end of their lifecycle (terminating as to June 16, 2028 for items appearing in assessments administered during the term ending June 30, 2021).
- For clarity, this includes item banks/assessments created or updated during the July 1, 2020 to June 30, 2021 license term. You are still able to add National Geographic text to your item banks/assessments through June 16, 2021, provided those assessments will be administered prior to June 16, 2021.
- For clarity, to continue to use excerpts from National Geographic magazines/journals for the full lifecycle of the relevant assessment, that material must have appeared in an official test administration either as an operational or field test item prior to June 16, 2021 in order to remain covered for the assessment lifecycle.
- Please be advised that National Geographic has notified CCC that they are unable to approve the use of magazine/journal titles with the “Request Coverage” designation in RightFind Assessments (sal.copyright.com) so please do not submit requests for coverage for these titles.
- You may publicly release National Geographic passages used in assessments administered during the July 1, 2020 to June 30, 2021 license term (or, of course, any prior term) following the administration of those assessments. This material may remain in release moving forward.
As of June 16, 2021, you will not be able to add any new excerpts from National Geographic magazines/journals to item banks / assessments under SAL authorization. National Geographic magazine/journals titles will appear as “Denied” in RightFind Assessments. As of June 17, 2021, you would need to negotiate a direct license from Disney to select and administer any additional excepts from National Geographic magazines/journals since they are the new rightsholder of these titles.
While we strive to maintain all participating publishers, the SAL is designed to provide you with multiple content licensing options. We’re confident we’ll still be able to fulfill your licensing needs. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact email@example.com.